Energy Assistance Programs
- Weatherization Assistance Program - This program assists income-eligible households with efficiency measures
such as air sealing, wall and attic insulation, heating system improvements and
electric reduction measures. Services
are free to eligible households. Household must have an income of less than 60%
of State Median Income (i.e., eligible for regular HEAP benefits). NYS Homes and Community Renewal carries out the program statewide with funding from the US Department of Energy. For more information and to find your local weatherization assistance provider, visit the Weatherization Assistance Program website.
- EmPower NY - The focus of EmPower New York℠ is on cost-effective energy efficiency measures,
like air sealing, insulation, lighting and refrigerator replacements, as well as health and safety tests. Services are free to eligible households: electric
distribution customers of a participating utility who live in a building with
100 units or less or have a household income below 60% of state median income
are eligible (i.e., HEAP eligible).
- Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) - HEAP can help low-income
families with the cost of heating their home, regardless of the type of fuel used. The program also offers heating equipment repair and replacement assistance to eligible homeowners. To find out if you
are eligible, click here. File online at www.mybenefits.ny.gov.
- Home Performance with ENERGY STAR - The Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® (HPwES) program provides energy efficiency services to existing 1-4 family
homes. The program serves all income levels, and most homeowners are eligible for a free or reduced-cost comprehensive home energy assessment (energy audit). Participants pay for the cost of
the services, but incentives and low-interest financing options are available.
- Assisted Home Performance with ENERGY STAR - The Assisted Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program offers the same services as Home Performance with ENERGY STAR with additional financial support for income-eligible households. Qualifying households can receive a discount covering 50% of the cost of eligible energy efficiency upgrades up to $5,000. Low-interest loans are also available to help cover the remainder of the project cost. Eligible New Yorkers include residents
in 1-4 family homes that have household incomes at or below 80% of County Average Median Income.
- Utility Rebates & Incentives - Central Hudson, NYSEG, and Orange and Rockland.
Last updated December 14, 2015